Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Sunday, August 21, 2011

A John-John Update and other random thoughts

 A blog reader (yes...one of the three of you!!) reminded me the other day that I haven't posted many pictures of John recently.  As a fellow fourth child, I was immediately filled with guilt!  So here are some taken today after church.


John is now three months.  He's been sleeping through the night for about a month...anywhere from 11 to 12 hours a night!  Wonderful!!  Daytime sleep is all over the place, but given the chance he will generally catch two or three catnaps and one three hour nap.  Sleep has been a little more difficult for him now that we live in the car...more on that later.

What more can I report on the little guy??  First, he isn't so little.  He is by far the largest Gill baby we've had.  He frequently gets mistaken for a six month old.  I would wonder about the potential that he got swapped in the hospital, but boy do I see some of all of us in him!  He's pretty laid back...loves to look at anyone in the eye...loves to giggle.  Recently, I've caught him with his thumb in his mouth.  He loves to suck on his hands, but he seems to chew on his thumb...not really suck it.  Not sure how that will turn out.

An extreme close-up of him chewing on his thumb!
In other news,  we are chugging along.  Life is busy now.  As I told Chris the other day, in a short year, I've gone from driving a sporty SUV with three kids to a minivan full of carpool signs on the windshield.  Seriously, if you forget my boys' names, just checkout the windshield!  I feel as if John and I live in the car.  Twice a week, there are six carpool lines to sit in...not fun for the little guy, but he's managing pretty well.

Philip has so far enjoyed Kindergarten.  He likes his teacher but remembers no one's name in his class (he gets that from his Dad!).  He has befriended a little boy who has a Lego Star Wars backpack!  Tomorrow starts his first full day.  I imagine he'll be pretty tired, but he's really looking forward to PE!  Daniel and William are also doing well with school.  No tears from anyone...a blessing!

I'm excited about them getting back into a routine, but boy do I miss our simple days of summer.  I actually enjoy their company (and although I long for alone time ALL the time), I do miss them when they are at school. 

I have gone a little crazy recently.  I think that I think about cooking all the time!  I'm on a whole foods kick...trying hard to cut out processed food.  I have been getting up early to have a good breakfast on the table before the boys wake up.  Then there's the lunchbox...I'm constantly thinking about different things to give them.  Today we made homemade energy bars.  The boys helped and despite Philip telling me that they looked like Roxy's you-know-what, we all liked them!!


Well that's about it...it's time for this girl to hit the sheets.  Gotta get ready for the week ahead!

2 comments:

  1. He is a big boy, and such a cutie like his brothers. Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I think you are turning into a little hippie. Contemplating cloth diapers and home schooling, avoiding processed foods. My guess is that with 4 kids, showering and shaving your legs has already taken a back seat. What's next?

    ReplyDelete