Raising boys is hard...even if yours is perfect. Mine are not.
While decorating the house, I began to feel somewhat guilty that we have very little Christmas decorations. Like none. Everything we have I think came from Chris' mom (thanks, Dee!) before we had kids. It's pitiful. But as I began pulling things out, look what I found...
A decapitated Crimson Tide Santa and a one armed nutcracker. These peeps are hard on our decorations. Take for example this one....
It was a beautiful bell with a Christmas tree on it. I remember it being given to me when I was around Philip's age. Every Christmas Eve, my family went to the Pierce's Christmas party after church. Dr. and Mrs. Pierce are Mom and Dad's
Now Dr. Pierce is Elizabeth's godfather and Mrs. Pierce is Susan's godmother. And every Christmas the sisters received a present at this party. And every Christmas I was jealous. But this one Christmas, this sweet couple had pity on me and gave me a present too! The bell. And ever since, I have loved it.
William's tears when he told me what happened were enough evidence that he need not be punished. He knew I loved that bell and he felt terrible. I reminded him that it's just stuff. I told all of them the story of the bell one more time. The memories live on!
But back to the stable. I love my nativity set. People if you have children, you need to get one and you need to let them touch it. I love to see my children work with the figures. Tonight, it was all John...or Batman.
He was concerned that the mother was missing. I watched quietly from another room as he took the baby Jesus out to the "field" where he had the shepherd and the sheep. He's heard the Good Shepherd lesson only once, so it may be chance but I couldn't help but think of the Good Shepherd in the field with the shepherd and sheep. It just seemed so right.
I'm adding one more decoration that I know will be a treasure in the years to come.
My friend, Caroline, sent this one in a care package for Philip. The angel is to remind us of this special Christmas in Philip's life. I found this so touching and thoughtful. Thanks, Caroline!
What are your special decorations and memories? I'd love to hear them!
No comments:
Post a Comment