Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Friday, June 5, 2009

Potty Training 101

I imagine if you went to a potty training class they would tell you two things:
  1. don't try on a child under 2
  2. don't try with a new baby in the house because new babies cause children to regress.

Well, Tank Tank is defying the odds. At 23 months, he is basically demanding to be potty trained. He walks to the bathroom, pulls down his pants, and takes off his diaper...all without any assistance. I have often heard of children that potty train themselves. I've never believed it, but this kid is doing it.

Why? I think it's two fold. He clearly wants to do everything his brother does and he's loving the attention that he's getting for performing! Whatever it is, I'm loving it. I wasn't really ready for this, would have never suggested it right now (I'd prefer a full nights sleep before tackling this), but what's better than him doing it himself?? Here he is showing off his "big boy pants."



Other than that, the week's been pretty uneventful. We made a trip back to the library...first one with William...and checked out half of the children's section. I love how Philip gets so excited about his "new" books. The library rocks because it's the only place you can go and bring home whatever you like for FREE!

Yesterday, Philip, William, and I went to Heron Lakes for Cooper Ashbee's 5th birthday party. Philip sat with me in a chair for an hour (despite much prodding to go jump in) before asking, "Mom, will you come with me to put my toes in." So we did. Then he let me lift him into the baby pool. He jumped right out. He got back in. Then he proceeded to walk around the pool holding on to the edge...it's only 1 1/2 feet deep mind you. Next, he splashed a little. Progress. I never could get him to jump in or put his head under. He's so cautious. I guess it's a good thing. I wondered the whole time how different it would have been if Daniel was there. Would they be braver together??

One more story...this morning Philip lay in bed with me while I fed William. He told me that when he gets bigger he'll go to work. I said, "Baby, don't rush it. Being at home with Mommy is much more fun." He replied with, "I have to go to work to pay money and go to long meetings." Too cute although I think it filled his Daddy with some guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment