Right now I feel as if life is whizzing by....I can't remember when I last sat down...feeding a baby doesn't count!
We have had a good weekend. Friday night we went downtown for the North Pole Stroll. We started at the Battle House where we saw the big Christmas tree in the lobby. From there, we went to see Santa. Philip and William sat in his lap....Daniel wasn't so sure!
We wrote a letter to Santa at the Museum of Mobile.
There was snow blowing from balconies...homemade peppermint marshmallows (delicious...looking for a recipe to try!)...Whoville...snowflake ornaments to make...Christmas stories read by none other than Ms. Val...hot chocolate, cider, cookies...and more!
We had a great time and look forward to doing it again next year.
On Saturday, Chris put a fire in the fireplace at 8:00 am and we kept it going all day. I enjoyed a trip to the grocery store by myself and a haircut. I made a big pot of red beans and rice and we all settled in to watch the Crimson Tide that afternoon. GranGran and PopPop joined us for the game. What a game it was...can't wait until Pasadena!
Today was busy. Sunday school, church, and then home to finish costumes and cook for Joyful Night. Joyful Night is Trinity's annual Christmas play and dinner. It is always a good time, but this one was special...it was Philip and Daniel's first year to participate.
I was busy sewing the camel costume, so I did not make the boys' costumes. Philip went in a Turnipseed hand-me-down horse costume. Daniel wore his Big Al elephant costume from last Halloween.
GranGran, PopPop, Aunt ShuShu, Uncle Rob, Dee, and GrandAnne were all there to cheer on the boys. Philip was ready to go...followed the older boy's lead well. Daniel was hesitant and decided to watch in the pew with the rest of us. I couldn't see very well...couldn't get great pictures.
I was told afterwards that Philip was quite entertaining to watch. He apparently kept trying to take Ben's staff and poke the girls with it. Good thing his mother couldn't see!
Poor William...
he got a little rowdy in the church before the program began. I took him to the nursery so that I could enjoy the show. I fully intended to get him for the dinner but the reality was getting seats for the ten of us and then getting Philip and Daniel situated was too much. He stayed in the nursery the whole night. Feel bad about that!
Overall a great night...so good to be with so many family and friends during the holidays!
A busy week ahead....meetings, birthday party, Christmas parties. Lots of cooking...brownies for a Junior League meeting, lasagna for Advent dinner at church, something sweet for Ms. Val since we have our last library before Christmas. Oh yea, then there's the Christmas outfit for Philip that isn't completed...gotta finish so we can get a Christmas card picture. Will my cards go out before Valentine's Day??
There's the stress of the above and then as I write, I am looking at our half-dressed Christmas tree. I know it needs to be decorated, but neither Chris nor I have the energy tonight. I keep thinking about Advent...a time of preparation. I cringed in the atrium this morning when a child answered "Santa Claus coming" to my question of "what are we preparing for?"
So why do I think it's important to get the tree decorated, Christmas outfits finished, cards sent out? Creating memories for my children is important and that's why I try to do it all. But more importantly, I want them to truly understand the meaning of God's gift of Jesus at Christmas. My prayer this Advent is that I can prepare for Jesus' coming and not worry about the trivial things that get in the way!
No comments:
Post a Comment