Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Prepare Now...prepare now

Things have been busy at the Gill house. Remarkably, the older boys have been well behaved and getting along so well recently. It is so nice when they play well together and simply enjoy each other's company.


Here they are before dinner one night. Philip is reading to Daniel...we've read this book so many times that Philip has the entire thing memorized!


Chris broke out with the Christmas music Thanksgiving Day. I've even caught him listening to Christmas tunes on the ipod while jogging. Makes me giggle....


I haven't been able to get too into it this year. Instead, I have really enjoyed listening to "Sing With Joy"...the Christ Church Cathedral Choristers (Nashville, TN). This music accompanies our Sunday School curriculum...the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.

I've intended to write a post on COGS. I have put 50 hours of training into this curriculum this summer...I have 25 more to go before I am a catechesist certified to teach 3-6 year olds. A lot of time to teach Sunday School! So worth it though...I loved training and have loved teaching this year.

Philip is such a natural in the atrium. He's able to sit still and listen and seems to always know what it is he wants to work on. He loves the tracing packets. He's traced all the elements of the altar and has moved on to the words straight from the Bible in the Annunciation to Mary and the Birth of Jesus.


What I love about this program is the children's autonomy in the atrium. They get to choose their work and they work alone. A thing I learned in training that I have remembered and loved is that we can not make children fall in love with God. It is our job to introduce them and then give them the appropriate environment to develop their relationship. So true...

I love that Philip is learning and love that he's sharing that knowledge with Daniel. The other day I sat at my sewing machine while the boys played outside in the sandbox. The sandbox is right next to the window by my machine. The boys were playing and talking. Daniel asked Philip, "What is God?" Philip answered that "God is everything." He paused, thinking, and I think he was going to say more, but Daniel, in his two year old manner, got distracted and said, "Ooh, look Pullup. Dada left out his ladder." Oh well...it was sweet to hear Philip begin to share with Daniel.


So back to singing...our program has fabulous advent songs. The lyrics to my favorites are...


Prepare Now - Prepare now, prepare now a way for the Lord. Prepare now, prepare now a way for the Lord. Make ready, make ready a path for the Lord. A straight path, a clear path a way for the Lord.


Come Lord Jesus - (goes with Prophecy of Names) Come Lord Jesus, come Lord Jesus, come Lord Jesus, come and be born in our hearts. Come oh Prince of Peace, come oh Prince of Peace, come oh Prince of Peace, come and be born in our hearts. Come Emmanuel, come Emmanuel, come Emmanuel, come and be born in our hearts. Come Almighty God, come Almighty God, come Almighty God, come and be born in our hearts. Wonderful counselor, wonderful counselor, wonderful counselor, come and be born in our hearts.


Light One Candle - (goes with Advent wreath) Light one candle for hope. One bright candle for hope. He brings hope to every heart, he comes, he comes. Repeat with peace, then joy, and then love.


There are so many others....so many good Advent songs. I've enjoyed these songs this Advent. They have helped me and the boys prepare for Christ's coming. Guess I'll move on to Christmas music later this week...when the radio stations quit playing it!!



In other news...we have been preparing. I have permanently moved into the kitchen!! We have made peppermint marshmallows, at least a half a dozen almond tarts, white chocolate peanut butter bites, and more. We have delivered to our teachers, our librarian, our priest, our Sunday School teachers, nursery workers, babysitters, and neighbors. I love creating gifts in the kitchen and the boys seem to enjoy it too!


We loved having Cameron and Heather in town last week and look forward to their return on Christmas Eve. Aunt Elizabeth will be here with us next week too! So exciting!!




I'll leave you with a picture of the boys in their Christmas outfits. I smocked 15 toy soldiers...lots of work...but I am happy I did it. Philip has happily worn his, but he did tell me this morning as I was putting them on him before church that he wanted to start wearing what Daddy wears to church. Well, maybe no more smocking for the boy, but we definitely won't be sporting a suit and tie!!


Can't wait to report back with Christmas news!

No comments:

Post a Comment