Chris and I certainly can feel the love tonight. Wow...our family and friends have surprised us so many times over. There have been phone calls, cards, flowers and food delivered. There have been countless offers to help with the boys. There have been many miles traveled to be by our side while we say goodbye. How do we thank you??
It's been a whirlwind of a week. We went from recovering well on Friday/Saturday to planning a funeral Sunday evening. There wasn't much time to say goodbye to the old man. I did squeeze his hand and let him know that I too loved him.

It appears his family aren't the only ones that loved him. The church was full yesterday as we celebrated Phil's life. Lots were family, some were long time friends, some new friends, some had never met him but knew him through his fabulous sons. It was a wonderful service. Philip slept through the majority of it. (I laughed thinking that his grandfather had probably slept through many a service himself!) Daniel held my hand walking down the aisle at the end and then whispered to me, "Momma, that was easy."
The boys are holding up well. They are tired...longing for their routines to return. I think Philip understands. He's made comments about PawPaw being in heaven with Khaki, but he doesn't seem to be sad. I can't help but wonder if they are able to jump through the hoop of the selfish grieving we experience. Perhaps they can grasp the resurrection better than we can. Who knows?
I have been fighting fever, pink eye, and a horribly sore throat since Wednesday. Chris has been so supportive during a time when clearly I should be here for him. He's amazing in so many ways. Just like his dad.
So just in case you're able to get on the internet in heaven, Phil, I hope you know I how I felt about you. You were an incredible man, husband, and father. I didn't always agree with you, but I always reminded myself of one thing. You raised a man that has so many of your fabulous qualities. You must have been an awesome dad...how else would Chris know what to do? You will certainly be missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment