Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How we are doing

Whew...it has been a rough couple of weeks. I am beginning to feel my age. One day I'm driving a sporty SUV...the next day a minivan. One day I'm seeing 20/20...the next day I'm thinking I need a pair of these...


We did buy a minivan...I do love it...but I do miss my Pilot. We simply needed the room and the deal was good. As for the glasses, I went back to the eye doctor today. The blurred vision is a result of the viral conjunctivitis and should clear up with some drops in a few days.

So that's how I'm doing. Next, I get asked, "How's Chris?" or "How's Dottie?" Well, the truth is I think they are doing great under the circumstances. Sure, they have their moments, but everyone is getting up, getting dressed, and carrying on with life's tasks. That's a good thing.

Finally, "How are the boys?" and "Do they understand?" Just a few thoughts I wanted to preserve. Philip is very matter of fact. If we mention Phil, Philip says, "but PawPaw died." The other day he did ask his father how Luke could see and talk to Obi-Wan after Obi-Wan had died. He was definitely curious as to whether this was a possibility.

Daniel, who I thought comprehended very little of all this, asked me out of the blue the other day if Jesus had two beds. No clue where he was going with this, I said that I wasn't sure. He explained that he was wondering if Jesus had a bed for himself and one for PawPaw. I told him of course and reminded him that Jesus said "in my house there are many rooms." He definitely gets something.

My aunt, Meme, reminded me of the importance of keeping Phil's memory alive to the boys. On that note, I told Philip a story yesterday about a trick PawPaw did on his neighbors at Halloween. The child laughed and laughed and then begged me to tell it again!

We are learning how to live into this new reality. There will still be many moments of sadness, but together I do believe we will get through it. Again, many thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment