Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dear Daniel,

Yesterday you made me proud.

It wasn't at our trip to the playground after school where I watched you play with your two friends, Jack and Walter.  Sure it made me happy to see you happy and well adjusted socially with two boys that you haven't known but for a month.  Having good friends is important, buddy, and I'm glad you are making some.


Nor was it the e-mail I got from your Kindergarten teacher...the one where she explained to me that we needed a conference to discuss ways to keep you challenged and stimulated at home.  It seems you're reading on a borderline second grade level.  Reading is important, too.  And your Daddy and I are quite amazed at how well you are doing it these days.  Just like potty-training, you made up your mind (quite early) that it was time and have taught yourself!  Reading will take your imagination places and feed your mind in a way nothing else can.  I'm glad you are excelling there.

But proud, no.


What made me so proud was the pecan.  Remember the one that fell from the tree in our current backyard.  You've been asking to take it to the Science lab for over a week.  But our schedule with school has been a mess with the hurricane and Labor Day.  You were so excited to wake up yesterday and know that it was a Science day.  You asked if you could take it, so I dropped it in a ziploc bag and went to put it in your backpack.

Then you asked, "Mama, is a pecan a tree nut?"  Yep, it fell from that tree right there.  "I better not take it then."  Just like your Daddy, you are a man of few words...never say more than is necessary.  But I knew.  See in my compartmentalized memory, I knew about the little girl in your class that is allergic to tree nuts.  It's just that that information was stored in my lunch box/special snacks area...not the Science lab area.  But you knew.

And what makes me so proud, Daniel, is that you chose compassion.  You put someone else's feelings and health in front of your excitement.  And to me, that's huge for a five year old.  At the end of the day, friends are good and excelling in school is certainly important, but caring for others is most important.

I'm proud of you and love you very much, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment