Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dear Pancake,

Today I took you to story-time at the library.  By. Your. Self.  I had a hard time swallowing it.  You see, I have been going there for at least seven years and I've always had a lap full.  At least two.  Lots of times three.  Sometimes four.  How it got to be just me and you I don't know.  Time is flying and I need it and you to slow down.


You were a typical Gill boy at story-time.  Sat like an angel in my lap through all the stories.  Didn't dance.  Didn't sing.  Didn't sit up close with Ms. Val.  Sat still, focused, and listening throughout each book and song.  You're reserved...watching...taking the moment in. You don't seek to be the center of attention, and I like that.  I worried when your brothers behaved like this.  Worried that they were too shy...not interactive enough...not friendly.  But with you, I have perspective.  I'm comfortable with your tendency to be overwhelmed in a social setting (wonder where you get that from??) and I know your ability to sit and listen will make you a good student in the future.

I got teary as we left in the parking lot.  Oh, my days are numbered as a stay-at-home mama to a stay-at-home little boy.  It's freeing at times to know I'll catch a break one of these days...get all the laundry done...clean some bathrooms...commit my time to some worthy causes.  But it is heartbreaking too.  Because when I sit with you in a circle of strangers and sing "Wheels on the Bus", I know I am doing just what God intended for my life.  The laundry is necessary...but time with you and your brothers...that's my life's calling.

So remind me, please.  When story-time comes around next week, and I tell you I have laundry to do...remind me of what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment