Mardi Gras is over and Lent is in full swing. A few hours after a long car ride home, I headed to church for the Ash Wednesday service. Knowing John was beyond exhaustion from a long day, Chris chose to stay home and we gave the boys the choice. Sweet William chose to come worship with me. He amazed me with what he noticed during the service...the change of color to purple, the absence of some of the flags hanging, and the use of the simple paten as opposed to the more ornate footed paten...some of these things I didn't even notice!
 |
| Daniel drew this in the atrium while I worked on Thursday |
And now it is time to think on Lenten resolves. Chris, Philip, and I have chosen to give up sweets. It's a difficult task for me and sometimes I wonder if it has anything to do with Lent, but at worst it is a good lesson in self-discipline.
But it isn't where my heart is this Lent. My true resolve is to slow it down. Easier said than done, I know. I want more time to be quiet. More time to listen. More time to be not-busy.
"The higher goal of spiritual living is not to amass a wealth of information but to face sacred moments." - The Sabbath, by Abraham Heschel
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." - Pascal
It is going to pain my husband a little to hear me say this, but I need more time to be inefficient. To be still and know He is God. Busy doesn't mean better...not for me...not for my boys.
My Lenten resolve. Be still. Be quiet. Listen more.
No comments:
Post a Comment