Wow...it has been a long nine days. Daniel first brought the flu in last Monday. William, the last to get it, came down on Saturday. I relapsed on Sunday. Except for carpool and a doctor's appointment last week, I have not left the house since last Monday...nine days...and it is beginning to show around here.
First, the laundry...oh, the laundry...

Overall, the guys have done pretty well. Things are starting to break down though!
I have been sensing that we could be perhaps on Lego overstimulation. Have you ever let your children watch too much TV and simply regretted it later? In a wierd way, this is where our Lego time was headed.
I've noticed in the past two days, fights over the Legos. Tears, yelling, etc. Yesterday, William was a complete bear in the morning. I plowed through, knowing that naptime would bring relief. About thirty minutes into the nap, Philip and Daniel begin arguing over something. Doors slam, screaming commences, and William is awake. Lovely.
This morning, same type thing. I realized that I needed to come up with some after school activities that did not involve Legos. So we made and decorated snowflake cookies...

and we cut out snowflakes from plain white paper. I sat on the floor and colored with the boys. I was very intentional with my time with them.
Then a moment's break and they are back to building. First, a little fuss. Next an all out fight. William is woken up again. I give a warning. More fighting over Legos and they get taken away. They find another activity...it doesn't last long...back to the Legos. Another fight and the unthinkable happens...
Mom follows through. I scoop all thirty thousand (an exaggeration, but it sure felt like it!) Legos up and take them away. Lots of screaming...Philip actually hits me...something he's never done before...he calls me "the baddest Mommy ever" and I don't think he meant it like Michael Jackson bad.
After everyone cooled off, we talked about it. Daniel was terrified that I was giving them to other girls and boys. I assured them that they could have them back on Thursday if things went well. Philip apologized.
Tomorrow will be interesting. I usually get some great downtime thanks to Legos, but they need this. Bikes haven't been ridden in weeks, swingsets haven't been played with, books haven't been read in the afternoon. We need more balance. I hope we get some...I'll keep you posted.
Legos overdose - there is probably a 12 step program for the Gill boys. I hope everyone starts feeling good soon and can get outside for some fresh air.
ReplyDeleteJust when you think it can't get worse...I hope spring or at least a spring-like day comes early to Lower Alabama. It is supposed to be a beatiful weekend! Today will be better ~ C
ReplyDeleteI am very proud to be the mother-in-law of the "baddest mommy on earth." It reminds me of when I thwarted their daddy and he screamed over and over - "Ihate you." Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete