Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Friday, March 23, 2012

Thoughts on Spring, Speech Therapy, White Polo Shirts, and all things Suessical

Bear with me friends...I'm going to be all over the place.  Lots of nothing going on here but lots of living.  Some things we're doing and things we're going through to record...

First, spring is here.  And it is HOT already.  We've been enjoying the good weather by spending lots of time outdoors.  Nerf wars, baseball, playground trips...you name it and the Gills are doing it.  Love, love, love the warmer weather.





The boys have become quite obsessed with all things basketball.  They love to play in the driveway and have enjoyed watching the tournament with Daddy at night and on weekends.  We also still love to play baseball.  No organized sports for this crew yet, but there seems to be no need when there's always a parent to pitch and a brother to play with!

Moving on...speech therapy.  Both Philip and Daniel have recently begun speech therapy.  Philip has trouble with his 'r' sound and the speech therapist reccomended a little help.  After waiting six months to see if it would develop, we gave her the okay to begin.  It got me thinking about Daniel, who has trouble with lots of sounds.  I had the SPS therapist test him and subsequently realized it was worse than I thought.  All that to say, Daniel has now started speech therapy too.


He loves it!!  He gets to get out in the morning at the SPS carpool line.  He loves Ms. Kraus and all things St. Paul's.  He brings home flashcards that we play 'Go Fish' and 'Memory' with...at least four times a day!!  I don't know if it is going to St. Paul's that is so exciting or if he is truly thrilled to be speaking clearly, but he is so very happy.  His improvement is unbelieveable...we are so proud of him!!

Speaking of St. Paul's, my sweet Daniel has some major clothing issues.  He only has about four pairs of pants that he will wear (despite about six other pairs we have in his size) and he always wants to wear a white polo shirt with them.  To top the outfit off, he must have his blue Columbia fleece....even when it is 80 degrees outside.  Bizarre...but the upside, to the shirt at least, is that he always looks nice.  I mean, it could be a ratty t-shirt that he wants to wear everyday.  I think the white polo shirt comes from the fact that Philip wears one as part of his uniform everyday.  Oh how glad I'll be to get this one in a uniform next year!!

Moving on, we are in the midst of a little Dr. Suess love affair these days. 


Philip and Daniel celebrated his birthday earlier this month and I guess that brought his books back to the forefront.  I love his silly books and the boys do too.  At night, Philip, Daniel, and I crawl in bed with a Dr. Suess book and take turns reading pages.  I am amazed at how fluent Philip has become...reading the pages without stops to sound things out.  Equally amazing is Daniel's ability to read and sound out words at his age.

Earlier this week, I was busy putting William and John down for naps.  I peeked into the boys room afterwards to find this...


Philip was reading Green Eggs and Ham to himself.  I've caught him flipping through books hundreds of times, but this was the first time that I caught him reading silently by his own choice.  Oh how that makes my heart happy!  I love to read and truly hope that my boys will grow up loving it too!

Well, friends, I think that you're all caught up now.  Life is good here at the Gill house...hope you are enjoying your Spring days too!

No comments:

Post a Comment