And still as I read and learn more about this incredible Christian formation program for children, I am amazed. Amazed at how true and on spot it is.
One thing we talk about a lot in CGS is the child's "education to wonder." I love this quote by Sofia Cavalletti:
If the child does not have the time to dwell on anything, then everything will come to seem the same to him and he will lose interest in all things. -The Religious Potential of the Child, page 140
Today, I watched my sweet Daniel wonder.
After awhile, we ran out of new works and he was forced to choose works he had already done. I noticed a pattern. He seem drawn to the Kingdom of God parables...the mustard seed, the pearl of great price, and mostly the leaven.
We spent countless Sundays "making bread." Just like the woman Jesus spoke of, he'd measure the three measures of flour in two cups and add yeast to one. We'd wait. Sometimes coming back after church to see if you could tell a difference in the two cups. When done correctly, he'd notice that the yeast had made the "bread" in one cup grow higher. Each time I'd ask, "What do you think Jesus is telling us about the Kingdom of God?" Each time silence.
In true Catechesis fashion, I let the silence sit. No answer from me. We repeated time and time again. Finally, on his last Sunday in the atrium, when asked the question, he replied without missing a beat..."I think God will make small things big."
On the last Sunday of his time in the atrium of the Good Shepherd, this sweet little five year old boy encompassed one of the major themes. He will make small things big.
Now back to wonder. I caught him in it today. At the beach in front of the Gulf. A storm was coming in and Chris and I took the boys down to get their energy out. Some dug in the sand. William sat next to me in the wake of the waves...playing and talking as usual.
But Daniel stood...face to the Gulf and it's strong pre-storm waves. He simply stood absolutely still. And watched. And felt the spray. And felt the sand wash out beneath his toes. He stood like that for at least five minutes. In trance-like silence.
I didn't interrupt. I didn't say a word to him. When his stillness was broken, I asked him what he was thinking. His answer, "The Gulf is pretty cool."
I have to wonder what all went on in his little mind...what encompasses "pretty cool" to him. But I didn't ask.
Here's to an education to wonder for both of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment