Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Good Report

Our trip to Atlanta went great!  Elizabeth and David were great hosts as always.  Philip and Daniel loved playing David's boys' new XBox and Wii while I enjoyed catching up!  Early Monday morning we headed to Dr. Schrader's office to get the cast off!!


Typical Philip was happy, but not overly so.  I was dancing around that morning about it coming off.  He simply smiled.  So even tempered!!

Off it came...



and then off he went for x-rays.  Finally, a visit from Dr. Schrader.  We got a great report.  The x-ray showed new bone growth...meaning we are moving into the next stage of Perthes which is good...and his range of motion was excellent.  Much better than the doctor was expecting!

The prognosis is good.  He will wear a brace 16 hours a day (much less than I was thinking) for at least the next three months.  He can walk in the brace (theoretically...more on that later) and then when out of the brace he is to use crutches.  So he can go to school without the brace which is great.

We then went to the orthotics office for his brace.  It took a little longer than expected to get the fit right, so while we waited they brought the boys a sheet of bubble wrap to pop.  Have I mentioned Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is awesome??


And then off for a night at the hunting camp!  While his three brothers went out with Dad to hunt, Philip and I stayed at the trailer.  We rode the Big Red and read Harry Potter!  Love this smile!!


Now that we are coming off the high of losing the cast and such a great report, we are trying to adjust to the reality of the brace and trying to walk again.  The brace is at times uncomfortable (mostly in the car) but Philip doesn't really complain when in it.  Since we are not in school, he is managing his 8 hours out of it well.  I let him make the decisions of when to wear it.

However, walking is proving to be more difficult.  We have started physical therapy and he did great there.  Worked really hard with the PT.  She assured me that his hesitancy has less to do with strength and more to do with confidence.  At home, we are fighting walking.  He is clearly scared to put weight on either leg...especially his left.  There have been lots of tears, lots of pep talks.

We are looking at lots of physical therapy and half days of school at least in the beginning.  The therapist did not think he would have the strength to hobble on crutches for a full day of school for at least two weeks.  I'm yet to discuss any of that with his teachers, but I think we can make it work.  Baby steps.  I will admit it is all a little overwhelming...another carpool pickup...fitting in physical therapy three times a week with all the carpool runs...getting him to his classroom each morning with stairs and two little brothers in tow...etc.  But I know that we will figure it all out.  And most likely, as soon as we figure it out, his strength will return and the routine will change!!

Everything seems to be moving in the right direction.  I'm confident he will kick this disease once and for all!!

These two had a great time hunting with Daddy while I was in Atlanta.


And before I sign off, John wants to tell you a little about he and William's hunt with Daddy...


He loves the camp!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment