One theme that I have heard several lectures on during my Catechesis of the Good Shepherd training is the value of work. CGS is Montessori-based and Montessori had some great thoughts on children and work.
Montessori wished to reunite the working class of people (those who used their hands in their work) with the professionals (those who used their minds in their work). She knew from her research that those who used their hands had a greater joy in their lives. In CGS, we ponder with the older (age 6-9) child the gift that sets humans apart from the rest of creation. The gift of our hands. Our hands become a tool where we can collaborate with God in writing the blank page in which we live today. Our hands allow us to help bring the Kingdom of God here on Earth. Big stuff for little people to ponder.
But back to work. Montessori found that children want to work. They want activities that are real and adult-like. They work for an internal aim...not external like the adult. Work is good in their book.
So where am I going with this?
I have one who loves to work. No job is too big for this guy.
Running the shop-vac on the porch...
helping his Dad clean out the dryer vent...
or just some regular household cleaning...
William is always ready to lend a hand. He finds joy in his work. I could learn a lot from him!
This weekend we had some friends over for dinner. When all four complained that they were bored, I suggested they help their Dad and me clean the house. All jumped right in. They cleaned a bathroom, wiped down cabinets, picked up a messy backyard, and more. Work is good for all of us!
And just to show we like to play too....here we are enjoying a day at the beach with some old friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment