Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quiet Time

Climbing trees....


check.

Picnics...

check.

Baking cookies...


check.

We've been crossing things off the list.  A few weeks into summer and I'm beginning to realize that days at home wear the boys out more than days at school.  Maybe it's all the physical activity or perhaps it is our constant togetherness, but I'm finding we all need a little time off in the afternoon.

So, we have started "quiet time."  John naps, as does William some days.  Then I give the boys a few ideas of things they can do...workbooks, puzzles, Duplos for William (no Legos for the older boys because they share them and then it isn't a solitary activity), playing with play money, sorting activities, cutting practice, etc.  Philip and Daniel especially loved the Star Wars pre-school pack from Homeschool Creations (thanks, C, for the recommendation!).

Quiet time is nothing new around here....we've attempted it from time to time...but one thing is new...I am doing it too!!  I'm finding that I truly need the time to rest and have a break too.  So instead of doing laundry or preparing dinner or any other task that needs completing, I crawl in my bed and read a book.  It relaxes me and I also love that the boys see that reading is a pleasurable activity for me.  In our fast paced world, I want to send the message to the boys and myself that rest and quiet are both very important!!  I hope we can stick to it!

Today's quiet time was especially quiet.  Daniel, William, and John napped.  Seems a few hours at the pool wore everyone out!  After Philip had a little down time, we crawled on the couch and read...he read Amelia Bedelia to me and then I read Harry Potter to him.  It was a great hour...something I've missed since the big boy has gone off to school.  Have I mentioned that I love summer?????

No comments:

Post a Comment