Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Here's To Nothing

A well-meaning friend and fellow parent asked me last night, "So what are the boys doing this summer?"  I answered with "not much, just hanging out."  "Nothing?" he replied.  "Like no swim team, tennis, sports camps?"  Exactly.

So what are we doing?

Well, I'm not really a list maker type of person.  I guess I typically have a list of "things to do today" in my head at any given time, but I don't usually take the time to write those things down.  Probably should...just don't.

But when summer arrived, I sat the boys down at the dining room table and asked them what they wanted to do this summer.  I gave Philip a scrap sheet of paper and declared him the scribe.  They began shouting things out and Philip got busy writing.


Our list is full of everyday things....go for a bike ride, play in the sand, read books, play Legos, play catch, play dress up, and even watch tv.  There are field trips...go to the Exploreum, go to the zoo, a boat ride, go to the beach, go fishing.  Some are friend related...have friends over to play, visit the Springfields, visit with our cousins, go to GranGran's house, play with Aunt Elizabeth.  Others involve kitchen fun...make cookies, homemade ice cream, and popsicles.  All came straight from one of three little boys mouths.

Our goal is to accomplish them all!  I hope to share some pictures of us doing so along the way.


We have already done lots of sand digging as seen here and it seems we have traded in early morning carpool runs for a stroller/bike ride.  We went every morning last week.    Even William pedaled around the block on his tricycle with the bum wheel.


Occasionally, we stop to investigate things in the park...like this tree that appears to have been struck by lightening.


Yesterday Daddy took three out for a boat ride and fishing trip.  All three caught some fish and had a great time!





And as for reading...we've done a lot.  I asked Philip to set a goal at the beginning of summer for the number of books he would read.  I didn't promise any prizes...don't really have to.  Philip loves anything that involves taking score.  He chose 10 books a week for a total of 110 books.  I thought that was high, but one week in and the machine has already read over 40 books!

I know that I can get a little sentimental but I love all the time with the boys.  Don't misunderstand...I'm not reading/entertaining/playing with them all the time.  Most of the time they are off doing those things together.  I simply think it is so important for children to have large amounts of time to fill themselves.  It sparks creativitiy, imagination, and it strengthens the bonds of brotherhood.


I reread this portion of Mitten Strings for God, by Katrina Kenison, last night and it summed up my feelings exactly:

"So much of the structure that we impose on our children's lives is really intended to make our own lives easier.  We don't want to give up our freedom, and so we fail to grant our children theirs.  As every mother knows, it is easier to sign up for sports camp than to carve out a week to allow your children to follow their inclinations at home.  But children need time that is utterly their own - time to dream through an afternoon, time to play with the kids next door, time to wake up to their own pleasures.  Above all, they need some time when we adults aren't calling the shots."

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Here's to nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment