Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Garden Love

Okay, I've said it a hundred times here, but I am loving our garden.  It is wild and unruly, but it has out done my hopes this season.


We have had tons of cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, and squash.  A few strawberries, green bell peppers, and cucumbers.  Lots of herbs early on, but now they have been overgrown by tomatoes and squash.


The boys enjoy going out each day to water and/or harvest.  William is especially taken with it.  We spend lots of time out there together!


So what to do with all this produce.  Cook!  I am happy to say that most has been used promptly without waste.

One of my favorites is a tomato tart...using basil and homegrown tomatoes.  Always best with a homemade pie crust!

Sometimes the boys and I disagree on which recipe to use.  For example, we have had two cucumbers harvested.  I used the first for a tomato and cucumber salad that my Mom used to fix.  Very simple...just marinate the diced tomato and cucumber in a little apple cider vinegar and olive oil.  Salt and pepper and eat up!  I could eat it everyday.  Philip is begging for pickles!

We have eaten TONS of squash...grilled, roasted, steamed, squash pancakes, squash casserole...you name it and we've probably tried it.  But if you have suggestions...

So much fun.  I'm already reading up on what to plant this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment