Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Best Day

The boys and I started early this morning.  I needed to go to Fairhope to be fitted for my bridesmaid's dress for Elizabeth's wedding.  A bit terrified about taking four boys into a swanky dress shop, I knew earlier was better.

The fitting was quick and painless.  At least for the most part.  John did knock over one of the store's chairs, but neither he nor the chair seemed to be harmed.  From there, we walked several blocks to visit with Big Mama.  The aids were cleaning her room, so the boys and I visited with her in the hall.  It was a short visit, but good to see her nonetheless.

Finally, to the playground!  A chance for boys to be boys!  We played...


and then a picnic.




It was hot and the boys had be so good, so I thought a trip to Mr. Gene's Beans was in order.  Ice cream for all.



I was ready to head home at this point, but Philip insisted that we go to Page and Palette.  In we walk.  Five of us...plus a large cooler on my shoulder...a football in my arms.  We are not their average customer.  They should have run from us...prayed our visit would be short...but instead an owner met me at the door.  He escorted us to the children section.  Spoke to all of my boys.  Asked what they like to read.  We were looking for some of the Hardy boys series, but they were out.  He offered suggestions...all of which Philip had read.  Then he made a nonfiction suggestion..."an interactive history adventure"...Philip was sold.


Both boys got a book from this series and have loved it.  It is something we would have never found in the library or a normal bookstore or amazon.com.  Thank goodness for old-fashioned bookstores!

As we walked back to the car, Philip grabbed my hand and said, "Mom, this has been the best day."

No comments:

Post a Comment