I've got plenty of them. Four, to be exact. Each unique in their own way. Each special. Each full of great memories. Each can frustrate me at times. As I am sure I can do to them. Each would be here for me in a heartbeat. In fact, the last time all five of us were in the same room may have been at my father-in-law's funeral. They all came...from Mississippi, Georgia, Ohio. They all left family, jobs, life. They just came.
Recently, I have been struck by the relationship between siblings. Mine. Chris'. My boys. It is such an interesting dynamic. You see, there is no one who has known you as long as your siblings. Well, maybe your parents. But this is different.
As one of five, Mom now tells me that she didn't have much time to play with us. "You had each other," she says. That time together created a bond between my siblings and me that is strong today.
MD and I talk almost daily. With children the same ages, there is much to discuss. She is a kindred soul whose days look a lot like mine. We encourage one another...complain to one another...brag about our children to one another. There is freedom there. I know that I can say anything to her and it will not change our strong relationship. I hurt with her, laugh with her, pray with her, and thank God for her. You're stuck with me, sis, and I am oh so thankful.
Daniel. Poor Daniel. Remarkably, he came out normal despite growing up with four sisters. I kind of get it now living with five boys/men. I feel so outnumbered at times, but at least I'm an adult. How did he do it?? Daniel's sense of humor is the best. We too talk regularly. We mostly get a laugh out of our parents at times. His rendition of "SUSAN!" can bring tears to my eyes. His children are some of the sweetest, politest, and most fun we know. My boys actually cried when Meredith and Henry left last weekend. I love that they are close!
Elizabeth has always been the one I looked up to. Cooler...way cooler...than I could ever hope to be. She let me sleep in her bed when I was little and didn't have a bed of my own. (What was up with that, Mom and Dad??) We'd shove our stuffed animals under the covers to keep our feet warm and stay up late dreaming up all sorts of things. She's the sister that got me into Beta, KD, and the Junior League...I probably wouldn't have been invited to any without her. Today we still talk every week. She loves my little boys more than anything and the feeling is so mutual. When she comes in town, she gives them her time...ice cream store trips, walks around the block, even Lego building. They notice...trust me, they notice.
Now that Susan has joined the stay-at-home (even if she works a bit!) front, we talk quite a bit too. Our passions are the same...mainly cooking! We swap recipes, exchange garden news, discuss what and how to feed our children, and chat about whatever is new in Mobile. She is my go-to when looking for a new restaurant and/or clothing store, and more. She married Chris' friend in law school which makes them fun for both of us to hang out with. Sus has been my friend since her birth and I am so glad to have her right around the corner.
So back to Mom's quote. I get that now. My days are sometime busy with the work created by four children...cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. that I feel as if I don't get to spend enough time with them. But, oh, it brings a smile to my face to see that they have each other. I love the bonds that I see between my boys.
Philip and Daniel are so close. It's almost uncanny. They are inseparable during the summer. They know each other so well. These two rarely fight...rarely play without the other. They make each other braver, smarter, and just, well, happier. I love their relationship.
William is in a hard spot right now. He wants in with Philip and Daniel...and while they do let him play...he just isn't there yet. Now John thinks William hung the moon. He wakes up in the morning, and immediately asks, "Where Curlsy?" And William is fond of John too, but he wants to be bigger...not smaller. I'm interested to see how this relationship develops in the coming years.
The truth is they are all tight. A friend noticed the other day as we walked into a birthday party that was WILD that my boys are always touching each other in situations like that. Not holding hands. But hands on arms, shoulders...somehow, in some way, just clinging to each other. "You are my safety blanket," they seem to say to each other. "You know me like no other and I know you will not fail me." Exactly.
So while others are filling their summer days with playdates, swim team practice, summer camps, and other perfectly normal, healthy activities, I am trying to sit back and let these relationships develop. Hopefully, the work will pay off when they are teenagers and then adults.
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."
-William Shakespeare
No comments:
Post a Comment