Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Friday, February 19, 2010

A Holy Lent



As I sat in church for Ash Wednesday services, I began thinking about what Lent means to me. I have always loved hearing these words at that service:

I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to the observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy Word. And, to make a right beginning of repentance, and as a mark of our mortal nature, let us know kneel before the Lord, our maker and redeemer.

Those words are taken from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer. I like it because it gives me instruction for keeping a holy Lent...self-examination, repentance, prayer, fasting, self-denial, reading, and meditating.

I intend to do each of these. I'm sure all are accustom to the practice of "giving up something for Lent." I try this each year...sweets, caffeine, alcohol, even sarcasm. This year I am giving up sleep from 5-6 am. My children generally sleep until 6:00 and I typically get up with them. So for Lent, I am getting up at 5:00. I have been using this time in any fashion I choose...sometimes sewing, reading, or blogging!

As for reading and meditating, the boys and I have made a Lenten tree. The boys loved the advent wreath and the routine of lighting it every night at dinner. I found this idea on the internet and thought they would like it too.

We collected sticks in the back yard and then hung Bible verses on the branches. I used purple ribbon to hang the verses and to decorate the vase in order to remind them "purple's for preparation." It ties them back to Advent and our preparation for another great celebration in the church.

Each night at dinner we remove the Bible verse for the day and discuss it. I like the idea of teaching them to read and meditate on God's word too.

On Holy Saturday, the vase will be full of empty sticks. A bare reminder of the sacrifice that Christ made for us. Then, I plan to fill it with beautiful flowers on Easter morning to remind the boys of the beauty of the resurrection and the life we are given with Christ's gift.

Another idea I saw some where on the web is to get rid of 40 bags of stuff in your house. Doesn't matter how big the bags are...just the practice of cleaning out and making room. I'm taking these to Goodwill today.
That's about 8 bags. I also filled one up for the trash...31 to go! I realize that that is going to be a lot of purging, but there are so many other areas in this house that need organizing. I'm going to keep trying!!

I hope you'll join us in our trek through the wilderness of Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment