Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bumps in the Road

Or maybe I should say "Bumps in the Night." That's how last night went...

2:30 am - Daniel is awake...slams his door shut and heads down the hall, thumb in mouth (a rarity these days). I pick him up and crawl in bed with him. I hate to admit it, but I didn't mind snuggling one bit. Sometimes I feel like I don't get one on one time with him, so the middle of the night is as good a time as any. Plus, he's going through a rough patch right now and could use a little extra comforting. More on that later...

3:45 am - William, who never wakes in the middle of the night, is screaming. Chris gets to him first, but I quickly relieve him. Sweet William lays in my arms, motionless and wide-eyed. I rock him for a half an hour...again, trying to enjoy this one on one time...even if it is the middle of the night. Finally, I give in at 4:15 am and nurse him. He falls asleep in my arms in the bed. We snuggle and sleep like that until 6:30! Needless to say, I did not keep my lenten pledge this morning!

Back to "Bumps in the Road"...

First, Daniel. Losing Baba has been so hard on the little guy. He does not nap anymore...if he does it is because he is well past sleep deprived. There are a lot more fits, lot more whining, a lot more general misbehaving. I hate getting on to him when I know it is mostly sleep deprivation. Yesterday, I spent over an hour with him forcing him to pick up the sunporch. He apparently walked in, emptied out containers of toys onto the rug, and walked out. I made him pick up every bit of it himself. It was a definite test of wills...one I was not going to lose. I wish I could make it better...wish I could tell him that it will be okay...wish I could make him sleep! We'll get through it...have to remember that it is just another "bump in the road."

Next, Philip...well not really Philip...but Philip's education. Chris and I spent a weekend pondering where he would go next year...big private school or another small church preschool. Such a hard decision. In the end, we decided on the church preschool. I hope it is the right one. The jump will be hard for me...physically and mentally. Physically, in that next year, I will have to get two boys to two different schools at the same time. I'll have to be at two different Halloween, Christmas, etc. parties. Mentally, in that I have no connection to this new school. I know little about it. I'm used to being involved...serving on the board, hiring the teachers, etc. I am not in control here and will have to get used to it!!

The good news is we had a great weekend. Friday afternoon was spent with Caroline and her kids playing in the backyard. I like to call Caroline on random days (when she is in B'ham) and joke that she and kids should come over and play...and so we can sew. Well it was fun to actually get to do it last Friday. Have to say that I didn't get much sewing done, though!


Saturday, C and the family came over again for dinner. Our children had such a good time running around and playing together. It was a great evening...wish we lived closer and could do it more often!

In other news, we are planning a trip to Cincinnati in April. I can't wait to see all of the Watsons...especially my "new" nephew, Russell. Chris has been asked to be his godfather and we are so excited about celebrating his baptism with him and his family.

The boys and I are off to the Exploreum with Mary and Annie! Be back with more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment