Philip woke up at 5:45 this morning...make it 6:45 new time. Sweet boy came in our room, saw that Mommy and Daddy were still asleep, and went back to his room to play. I popped out of bed and took Philip downstairs. We hurriedly made the batter for Banana Sour Cream Pancakes...a recipe that I have been dying to try and given that the bananas and sour cream were going bad today was the day!!
Chris went for a jog and came back to cook. I went upstairs to get ready for church and prepare for Sunday School. We were pulling out the Cenacle lesson and to be honest, I hadn't even given it a look yet. I was multi-tasking...drying my hair and reading God's word, Luke 22. Off to the side (the Bible I was using has devotions in it), I read Max Lucado's devotion for the reading. It asked, "Why do you go to church?"
That single phrase stopped me in my tracks. Is it out of obligation? Is it because of the free childcare? Is it to show off my latest sewing projects?? Is it an opportunity for me to get dressed up and be around adults?? Is it because it is what I have been doing since I was an infant?
Maybe I don't always go for the right reasons. However, there is one reason that does draw me there every Sunday...introducing my children to Jesus.
I thought about this as Philip and I prepared the atrium. He immediately saw the new work and asked for a lesson. When the time was right, I did give he and Mary the Cenacle lesson. It is my favorite. The materials include: 12 figurines representing the disciples, Jesus figurine, a small paten and chalice, a crucifix, candleholders and candles, a tablecloth, and a table.
I read the words from Luke 22 to them and acted out the words with the figures. I then relayed the events following the Last Supper. I closed by reminding them that Jesus is with us in the bread and wine. It is such a powerful lesson.
I asked Philip and Mary afterwards if they had heard those words "Take eat, this is my body. Take drink, this is my blood," before the lesson today. Philip quickly said, "Yes, Father Matthew says them in church." Ta-da...he gets it. It was such an awesome moment for me.
All of this came together even more so in church. Because Daniel had stayed home with Dad and William, Philip chose to come into the church with me. His first time to sit through a whole service. He did great...he's totally up to the challenge. Anyways, Chris was scheduled to be an oblation bearer. I was going to fill in, but Philip asked to walk with me. I asked if he would like to carry the bread. He did....sweet little boy carried the footed paten from the back of the church to the altar and handed it to Father Matthew. Couldn't have been a more fitting day for him to do so!
Philip is growing up so much these days. Chris and I were commenting just last night about how adventurous he's become. He's climbing trees, climbing all over his swingset, etc. He is such a coordinated little kid. He's a great example to his younger brothers...a true joy to parent.
His new obsession is with the "olden days". It started when Meme passed down an old Social Studies 1st Grade textbook. He loves for me to read it to him. He's made masks, Indian hats, etc. from the pictures in the book. I subsequently picked up Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Little House on the Pairie book at the library. We read it everyday. He loves the stories and now loves to draw pictures of wagons. Go figure??
In other news, we have been through it all in the last week. Diarrea, vomitting, fevers, ear infections. I feel as if I haven't left the house in days! Hopefully we are all getting better.
We also lost a friend. Our dear friend, Frank, unexpectantly lost his mother last week. I think I have written about Norval before. She was a character...one both Chris and I enjoyed being around. We spent a few days with her and the rest of her clan at the lake in January. She was the ultimate host...served appetizers for breakfast...when I was up with a baby, she was up with the dog at 4:30 am, she politely asked if she could get me anything. Jesus got a good one...she will certainly be missed here.
Busy weeks ahead...lots of sewing going on! Say a prayer that the Easter outfits get done!!
No comments:
Post a Comment