On Tuesday, I spent the day trying to work on my lenten practice of ridding the house of 40 bags of stuff. If you remember, I had done about 9 bags in late February. I had done nothing since then. So the boys and I filled up a bag with trash and a box with books that we do not read. Philip has become such a packrat recently...asking for anything that Chris or I are about to put in the trashcan. I thought it was a good idea to involve them in the process.
When William woke from his nap, we headed to GranGran and PopPop's for lunch. The boys were out on their porch when they discovered GranGran's "junk drawer." GranGran was cleaning out herself and put her junk outside. The boys were thrilled. They both came home with what they called their "treasure!"
What was in the bag....candles, old kitchen cabinet knobs, velcro, shoelaces, clothespins, a compass, parts to an old gas grill, and so much more!!
Rub a dub dub, three men in a tub...
At 11 months, William has finally progressed to taking a bath in the big bathtub. I have to admit that I was a little nervous because his older brothers are a little rambunctious in the bathtub, but he's held his own. He loves the water...even tries to crawl in the tub!
Patience is a virtue...
Believe it or not, this one does not relate to the kids. Here's three books I'm dying to read. The Dan Brown is a borrow from sister Susan, but the others I ordered from amazon.com. I don't generally order books anymore because I don't have much time to read, they are expensive, and I am running out of room.
Balancing Acts is a first novel by my high school friend, Zoe Fishman. I ordered it to support her, and I am dying to get started on it! I think it's quite cool to read a book by someone I know well!
The Gift of an Ordinary Day was an impulse purchase. The night I planned to order Zoe's book, I got an e-mail from my aunt Meme with a link to this author reading an excerpt. I sat crying as I listened to her read. She expressed my thoughts so well. I feel such a constant battle between "please boys don't ever grow up...I love the stage we are in...love the time we get to spend together, etc." and "when will you ever learn to care for yourself...I need a moment of alone time...etc." I haven't started it, but I did read the introduction one night while feeding William. I was hooked and look forward to starting it too.
Why patience?? All free time right now is consumed by my three Easter outfits! William's is done, hanging in his closet. Philip's shirt needs buttons and shorts need a hem. I began Daniel's last night. Less than a week and a half to go and lots of work to do! I know that it will get done though!
A Penny saved is a penny earned...
I have begun couponing! After close examination of where our money is spent, I was appalled at how much money we spend on groceries. I've always thought it is worth it to spend money on groceries regardless of the cost. I still think feeding my family is money well spent. However, I am going to try to be conscientious of the cost!
I have been following two blogs of women who are doing the same thing. The first, http://www.bargainbuggyblog.com/ is run by my friend, Shannon. She's a couponer and deal finder. I've learned a lot from her. From her site, I found: http://www.fairhopefoodie.com/. I like this site because she plans her families menu based on items on sale! Novel idea, huh??
It takes a lot of planning, but I've done good so far. I've noticed savings on the grocery bill and have even worked some deals on other things as well. For example, I picked up Connect Four at Target yesterday for $3. It generally sells for $14. It is a little advanced for my troops, but I put it in the closet for a six year olds birthday party coming up!
Busy weekend ahead...Chris is running the Azalea Trail Run on Saturday for the first time since he was a kid. The boys and I will head out to watch. We also have sweet cousin Davison's first birthday party. Will be back with more...
No comments:
Post a Comment