Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Thoughts on Getting Older and the End of Summer

I celebrated 36 years on Tuesday.  As I went for a run that morning, I reflected on this time period...my mid-thirties.  I realized that I'm hitting my stride.  Finally comfortable with the self that I am....comfortable in my own skin.  Happy with who I am...who He created me to be.  That's a gift.


The day was good...some time with my boys and friends at the fountains and dinner with my family and the two people who thankfully chose to have a fourth!  A wonderful day.  Complete with cupcakes.


As most of you know Tuesday is also Chris and I's anniversary.  We celebrated thirteen years together as husband and wife. I couldn't be more thankful for this man.  I am not really sure who I am without him.  We've been together longer than we have apart.  Chris is truly a man of strong character and his influence on his growing young gentlemen is a blessing. Here's to many more, my friend!

Unfortunately, my birthday is also a reminder that summer is coming to a close.  Not in terms of weather, grant you, but in terms of school.  In some ways I am ready.  Ready to run an errand, clean a bathroom, attend a meeting, etc. without four little friends in tow. 

But in so many ways, I am not ready.  The boys and I have had a great summer.  Nothing special...nothing exciting (unless you count moving to another house exciting!).  But time.  Time together.  Time to dream, explore, talk, read, cook...all the things we enjoy doing. 

We had a family meeting the other day to go over our list.  The list we made at the beginning of the summer.  Where did we fall short.  What did we accomplish.  It told me a lot about myself.  We accomplished it all...except three things. 
  • Visit the Springfields.
  • Visit Elizabeth in Atlanta.
  • Go to the New Orleans zoo.
Notice a theme??  This Momma doesn't travel well.  I am a homebody and am I raising four little homebodies.  So a new goal for myself...get out and see the world a little bit more!

So whether I like it or not, summer comes to an end on Monday. 

Philip's off to 1st grade and he's ready.  He's plowed through thirty Magic Tree House books in a matter of two weeks.  We've been library hopping...going every other day to support his habit....going to six different branches to be sure we have the next one in the series.  I dare say he's ready for some stimulation!

Daniel's off to Kindergarten.  Not sure how he'll handle being away from me, but I think we've made strides this summer.  He no longer cries when I leave him with a babysitter and he's thrilled to be wearing a SPS uniform.  He too is ready.  Not to be outdone by his older brother, he too is reading Magic Tree House books.  He's on his second one...no small feat for an entering Kindergartener.

William's off to PK-3 and he's assured me that he will not cry.  He's ready for Ms. Pat and her toy grill.  I think he'll do great too!

Goodbye, summer.  With the boys in school, I'll be dreaming of cooler days and some time spent outdoors on our new patio (which is getting cement poured tomorrow!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment