Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Monday, June 24, 2013

Birthday Party!!

I pride myself on simplicity as a mother.  I think I do a decent job keeping things low key here.  Including birthday parties.  The boys don't get to have friends until they're four...and even then the party is at home.  The invitations are evites, handwritten notes, or printed on my printer at home.  There are no matching labels for the food, party favors, etc.  Just old fashioned backyard parties.

Well ever since Daniel was born in the summer, I (yes you read that correctly, I...not he) have been dreaming of a large water slide party.  At six, we decided he was old enough.  I placed the order.  When told the delivery charge was $50, I politely declined and said my husband will pick it up.

Pick it up he did.  It took he and soon-to-be-named Saint PopPop a couple of hours to get it out of the trailer and eventually set up.  At a quarter til ten (when the party started), we plugged the ol' sucker in.  And then immediately lost power to the whole house!  Without going into all the details, I will briefly say the power was eventually restored, but Chris had to go get another blower.

So the party starts and I'm thankful that water guns are the party favor.  The kids entertained themselves...




until Chris returned and the sliding started.




The party was fun, and Daniel loved the slide.  Even Campbell was able to get in on the fun!


Happy Birthday with the sun cake he requested!



After the last guest left (two hours after the stated end time!), Chris and I got on with the boys.  I have to admit it was fun!


To make it worthwhile, we invited all the church families with young children over for a cookout after church.  A little more sliding...



and hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.  Fresh watermelon for dessert!


and then Chris and PopPop packed the slide up.  A good time...a great party...but maybe not so simple.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I didn't know you could even rent one of those!!!

    ReplyDelete