I'm happy to report that now at 4:15 pm, I have just put the finishing touches on everything. Three French handsewn outfits...done!! I am really pleased with how they turned out and can't wait to see the boys in them tomorrow.
Back to Holy Saturday...it hasn't seemed too holy to be honest. There have been trips to the grocery store, an Easter egg hunt at GranGran and PopPop's church, 
kite flying in the park, dying Easter eggs (have to add that before we started Philip asked if the eggs were going to heaven...had to explain that it was a different than "dieing" Easter eggs!!)
and a birthday party.
Both of the older boys are exhausted, but if I have time when they return from the party, I'd like to make the Resurrection cookies that Meme sent a recipe for. Then it's dinner, bath, and bed for the little guys. And preparing for Easter lunch for Chris and me!!
Whew...anytime to register what we are celebrating??
I want to share with you some words that I wrote for a Lenten devotional my church prepared several years ago. I was given Holy Saturday and here's what I wrote...
I like to imagine what Holy Saturday was like in Jesus' time. I doubt the day after a loved one's death in Biblical times was unlike our experiences today. Joseph of Arimathea tends to the burial plans, Mary Magdalene and Jesus' mother Mary are grieving at his tomb, and I imagine other women in town are frying some chicken to take to Mary's house.
Unlike Jesus' disciples, we know the ending. We know what tomorrow brings. For me, Holy Saturday is full of anticipation. It is hard to sit still any longer. I have celebrated the Last Supper with Jesus and his disciples; I have prayed with Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane; I have witnessed Christ's arrest and death by crucifixion. I have been still and prayful. I have fasted through a long Lenten season. Is it not time yet? Can we not proclaim, "Christ has risen?"
Then I remember. The disciples had the hope of resurrection, but not the certainity of it yet. On this day, many years ago, they were filled with more grief than ever. They had lost their best friend and teacher. They were not sure they would see him again. It is not a happy day for them. They are still grieving. They are still waiting. And so on this Easter Eve, I choose to wait with them. Instead of proclaiming the resurrection early, I pray with David, "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I hope."
I hope you will wait with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment