Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Friday, May 11, 2012

Dearest John,

A year ago today, you came into our world.


We could have stopped at three, but I knew I needed one more.  That one more was you.  You made our family complete.


What a gift you are!  You have made each of us, your brothers included, more loving, more flexible...all in all more content.


At one year, you are full of life.  You are learning your bounds and responding to our "no"...although you still like a little dog food now and then.  You are constant motion.  Hate being strapped into your car seat.  You crawl, stand, and cruise furniture.  You love your brothers...watching them closely and patiently allowing them to carry you around.  You love to eat...often times shoveling food in two hands at a time.  You drink...water and milk from a sippy cup...even your brothers' water bottles.  You talk...mama, dada, tee-tee (yes, you use the word correctly whenever you see your brothers in the bathroom!!), juice.  You clap and make prayer ramps at dinner time.  You climb...stairs and furniture.  You love "Jesus Loves Me'...you put your head on my shoulder anytime I sing it to you.  You don't like going to sleep, but once you do fall asleep you sleep for a long time.  I think our house wears you out...don't worry baby boy, it wears me out too!  You are flexible...you have to be.  You love the outdoors...you often scream when the back door opens and closes before you are allowed out.


You are a gift from God.  I remember sitting at our dear friend's, the Springfield's, lake house New Years of 2010.  Frank's mother, Norval, asked if our family was complete.  I told her that Chris seemed to think so.  Sensing my sadness, she looked at me and said, "if God wants you to have more, you will."  It was one of the last things Norval said to me and I'll never forget it.  Apparently, God did want you here and we did too!

Dearest John, in the famous words of your great-aunt, Meme, "I love your soul."  Stay little, my friend...each of your birthdays are going to be hard on this Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment