Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Memories

I'm going to be all over the place tonight...so please bear with me.

First on my mind are Christmas memories. As the boys and I sat watching Chris make waffles this morning, I asked Chris if he remembered any specific gifts he received at Christmas as a child. He could recall none...neither could I. I asked if he ever remembers being disappointed on Christmas morning. He could not...neither could I.

It made me wonder. I have spent a lot of time this month pondering the gifts that have been purchased for my children. I have asked myself and Chris over and over if each child's gift is equivalent, will they be equally happy, etc. But in reality, neither Chris nor I remember any of that from our childhood.

Naturally, I then asked him what are his Christmas memories. Christmas Eve with his grandparents at their churches...a large family gathering at his home on Christmas day. Mine were similar...church at All Saints on Christmas Eve followed by a party at the Pierces...spending Christmas Eve night in MD's bed with all three sisters...trying so hard to get my brother out of the bed Christmas morning to open presents...time with my grandparents on Christmas day.

Family...that's really all we remember.

This Christmas will be different. We're missing one...we're trying some new things out...maybe they'll become traditions...maybe not. One thing is for sure...we'll be together.

Chris and I will be giving our children the gift of family. They'll feel it Christmas Eve as we worship together at Trinity with all of their grandparents. They'll feel it later that evening over dinner with Dee, Uncle Cameron, and Aunt Heather. They'll feel it Christmas morning when they wake up with Dee here to open presents and later when GranGran and PopPop visit for brunch. I hope these are the memories that they will cherish...not the stuff that they receive.

Now on to our happenings. Speaking of Christmas gifts, Chris gave me a good one Saturday morning. I got two plus hours of peace and quiet while he and the boys went Christmas shopping!

Sunday evening brought Joyful Night, Trinity's annual Christmas pageant. I made each boy a costume and was hopeful all would participate. One out of three isn't too bad...

Philip and Daniel eagerly suited up in their horse costumes.

William would not let me even put on his sheep costume! When the time came for the parents to be seated, Daniel broke down. No problem I told him...come sit with me and Daddy. Philip was ready to go.

Turns out William did want to participate...just on his own terms. No costume...no walking with the group. As soon as the animals were seated up front, he decided to join them.

He made the trip back and forth several times! Father Matthew commented that he stole the show. I was just sorry that GranGran, PopPop, Susan, and Rob were seated on the back row and missed all of his antics!

It was a good night...good to be with many family and friends. Now, I am looking forward to a week of preparations with my boys. Today's project is homemade dog bones for the pups in our family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment