Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Fear Not...

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Christ the Lord!

Christmas Day was full of excitement. We slept in (hallelujah!) until 6:45. Daddy went down to start the coffee and fire while the big boys and I snuggled. We didn't have to wait long for Dee and William to wake up!

Finally, we were down the stairs to see what Santa had brought. The boys had a big time unloading their stockings!


Daniel got his Atlantis Legos...the only thing he asked for...he was thrilled. His Boba Fett helmet was a surprise and a big hit!

Philip loved his new bike and Lego Star Wars book. William loved his chocolate (and his new tricycle)!

We moved on to opening presents. By the time Philip and Daniel had seen a few Lego boxes, they were done with opening gifts. The tree was still full, but they asked repeatedly if they could go upstairs and build!

In case you are wondering, they accumulated 1291 Lego pieces throughout the day! They spent hours Christmas day upstairs building their new toys...airplanes, delivery trucks, Darth Vader's TIE fighter, race cars, Atlantis speedsters, castles, catapults, and more. Santa deliberately went light on the Legos, but family and friends pulled through for the little guys and they were in heaven!!

We did eventually finish opening gifts. The boys were a big help delivering each to their recipient!

The highlight was having Dee here with us for all the excitement. The boys are so fortunate to have all of their grandparents within a few blocks of them. However, they rarely get to experience the joy of waking up and having them here. It was such a treat for them. I think a new tradition has begun!

Eventually, the presents were opened and guests began arriving. Cameron and Heather and GranGran and PopPop visited and had brunch with us. We had a wide selection of casseroles, breads, fruits, and cheeses. Delicious!

After everyone left, it was naptime for William. Chris and I allowed the boys to bring some Legos downstairs and we all built by the fireplace.

The afternoon was quiet. The boys never got out of their pajamas! We enjoyed a slow, yet fun day with our extended family and then with our own little family!!

As I lay in bed Christmas night, I thought back to many Christmas' ago. I am not sure how old I was...elementary school, I suppose...but I remember lying in bed with my sister, Susan, and her new cocker spaniel puppy, Ginger. I remember being sad...maybe even crying...that Christmas had come and gone. I did not think Christmas could get better than it had been that day.

Many, many Christmas' later, I felt the same way. It was such a joy to watch the boys on Christmas morning. Wonderful to be surrounded by family. I was so sad to see the day come to an end. There is certainly a magic in the air this time of year that can't be duplicated. Here's to next year...four should be even more fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment