Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Friday, December 24, 2010

Here's to the New and Old

Christmas Eve for us has always been a time to celebrate with Chris' family. There's always a fabulous meal at their home and church as a family. Of course, plans had to be rethought.


The day was literally spent in the kitchen. We started with Star Wars pancakes...many thanks to Father Matthew and his son for giving the boys the pancake molds. They loved eating their Yoda pancakes!





William loved playing with the Darth Vader spatula!




The boys ventured off to play upstairs while Chris and I began cooking Christmas Eve dinner. I made creamed spinach and a salad...Chris made twice baked potatoes. Aunt Susan cooked a beef tenderloin that was enough to share with us! Dottie brought her homemade rolls and Heather brought dessert. Not too much work!


We opted for the fabulous meal at our house. We ate early...before church so that little ones could still get to bed at a decent time.




We quickly got everyone dressed and headed to Trinity. It was great to have Dottie, Cameron, and Heather there with us. GranGran and PopPop chose to come worship with us also. The most precious moment of the ceremony was when William realized that PopPop was in the row behind us. The church was quiet until he said excitedly, "PopPop, PopPop!" Priceless!!


If you had seen the boys ten minutes before leaving for church (or ten minutes after returning home), you would have never believed how well they could behave. They went from this...





to sitting quietly and taking in the service. Even PopPop noted how Philip watched Father Matthew during the service!


After church we headed home for dessert. While Dee gathered her things to spend the night, the boys and I quickly made cookies for Santa.



Usually, we make our homemade cookies and cut out Christmas shapes, but time was of the essence here! Slice and bake did the job!!

Next we sang "Happy Birthday to Jesus" and ate Heather's delicious red velvet cake. I don't think I've eaten a better red velvet cake before!!



We said goodnight to Cameron and Heather...





set out our reindeer food...




and put out cookies for Santa.




Off to read stories. Can you see the excitement in these guys eyes??





I grabbed my Bible so I could read the boys the birth story from Luke. Philip moaned a little...commenting that he has heard it so many times! I said you can never hear it enough and began. "Let's start at Luke Chapter 2," I said. Philip replied..."verse 14...Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace." Quite impressive what he's learning at school!!


The big boys shared Philip's bed so Dee could have her own bed. With everyone in bed, it was back to the kitchen for Chris and me. We cleaned the Christmas Eve dishes and began cooking a egg-sausage-hashbrown casserole and almond tart for tomorrow's brunch.


All in all, a good day and yet a busy one. Looking forward to rejoicing in Christ's birth tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment