Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Monday, November 28, 2011

Imperfect Preparation

Preparation.  It's on my mind.  What are we preparing for??  I ask my boys a lot because they are constantly pounded by the wrong reasons for the season.  I need reminding myself.  I woke up this morning with my mind racing.  What delicious things can I bake for our neighbors, friends, teachers, physicians, etc.?  What do I need to do to make this Christmas memorable...our scrapbook?...Bellingrath Christmas in Lights?...North Pole Stroll?...Elf on the Shelf?...and on and on.


Since I mentioned him, dare I go there?  A quick log onto Facebook or Pinterest and you'll see what everyone's elves are up to. 

Our Elf was a gift last Christmas...thankfully, no one is asking where he is!
I don't get it.  Seriously, don't get it.  An elf that comes to your house, makes a different mess in a different place of the house is supposed to make the children behave better?  I understand the concept...elf is sent from Santa to watch over who's being good and he reports back.  Guess my hang-up is that I want my boys be good.  Chris nor I have never said, "Be good...Santa's watching."  We just say, "Be good.  Make good choices."  To heck with Santa, elves, or anything else.  Stepping off my soapbox...

Don't worry, I'm not taking things too far.  I love seeing Christmas magic in my boys eyes.  We celebrate Santa...just don't talk about him all the time.  It's not our focus but it's definitely apart of our Christmas.

So since the Elf on the Shelf is protrayed as a family tradition, we'll be doing our own family tradition...the Advent wreath.  I'm working on some readings to go with our daily lighting of the Advent wreath at dinner.  We've used the same ones the past two years and I thought I'd change it up a little bit.

Off to Michael's I went to buy our supplies.  They didn't have the right form and didn't have any purple candles.  Ugh...
  
Doesn't it look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree????
I made do with the form...still need to get by the Visitation Gift Shop to get some candles.  Daniel reminds me every night that we need purple candles...white's for celebration, Mom.  I'm trying, here!

No comments:

Post a Comment