Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad

Happy Father's Day to my Dad.



A few weeks back, I was headed home from a church meeting when I heard a new song on the radio called, "A Father's Love." I came in right as the second verse began. I got teary...it is so fitting for my Dad.


120,000 miles. Six years down the road. A brand new life and a brand new wife. We'd just bought our first home. When he finally came to visit, I thought he'd be so proud. He never said he liked the place. He just got his tool belt out.


And he put new locks on the doors, went back and forth to the hardware store. Said "come and hold this flashlight" as he crawled beneath the sink. And "these wires ain't up to code" and "that circuit box is gonna overload." And I didn't hear it then, but I hear it now. He was saying "I love you" the only way he knew how.


You see...Dad is constantly showing us his love. He has put new locks on the doors for all three places Chris and I have called home. He's worked on each kitchen sink. He's done wiring. He's currently making new panels to go under our windows because the old ones are rotten. He doesn't complain...just jumps in there and asks how can he help.


The house isn't the only thing he looks after. He loves my little boys and tends to their medical (and sweet tooth) needs. He's answered too many nursing questions to count, diagnosed ear infections, roseola, fever viruses, stomach bugs, etc. He makes sure there are plenty of Pop Tarts in his pantry for unexpected visitors. He does not complain about having to reset his satellite after William comes to visit and press buttons on his equipment.




Clearly, he loves my little boys. The feeling is quite mutual, I assure you.


I feel so blessed that Chris has not only a wonderful father, but also a father-in-law that provides him examples of how to be a great dad.


Dad, you're the best. You have given me everything I need in life....and more! Thanks for always being there for me and my family!!


Check back later for an update on another great Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment