When Chris and I deemed Philip old enough to understand a blessing at the table, we began to work with him to wait before eating, fold his hands, and sit quietly while Chris blessed the food. I remember it being somewhat of a struggle. He just didn't get it.
Then Rev. David Powers enters the picture. Father Powers was our interim priest from fall of 2007 until the fall of 2008. I have a great love and respect for this man. Here he is next to me at Daniel's christening.
Father Powers did two great things for me. First, he took the time to truly explain the Rite of Holy Baptism to Chris and me. I have had three children baptized and three different priests do it. He's the only one to come to my home and go through the liturgy. I learned a lot! However, one of the best things he did for us was introducing the "prayer ramp."
Father Powers had a chapel service for the Mom's Day Out kids once a week. One day, he introduced the "prayer ramp." He told the children if they put their hands together then their prayers would go straight up the ramp to heaven. Ramps were something that Philip understood!
From then on, we only need tell Philip and Daniel to "make a prayer ramp" and it was done!
Time has past and Philip now says the blessing at dinner every night. Tonight I was surprised when I said "make your prayer ramp" and William did it! I've never specifically shown him how to do it...he's simply watched all of us.
It was so cute I captured it on video!
Thanks Father Powers!!
I finally took a moment to catch up on your world ~ thanks for all of your fun stories. I love being able to read about your lives and see pictures since unfortunately we don't live down the street. Wish we did!
ReplyDelete