Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Friday, June 4, 2010

Sewing...a blessing or a curse??

Did you know that I love to sew? I started sewing six or seven years ago. I did not have children, but I started even then with the intention to sew for children only. Starting before they came along was fabulous because I had time to go slow and perfect things.

I love the creative outlet that sewing gives me. I love dreaming up new things for them wear and then seeing them come to fruition. I love going into a children's clothing store, seeing something I love with an outragous price tag, and then being able to come home and make it.

Three boys later, it is really hard to find the time to sew like I want to. I have such good intentions...long lists of things to make for each of them. In addition to my ideas, occasionally they have things they want made. The reality is there is little down time in my life right now. Someone is up by 6:00 am, Philip and Daniel do not nap, and thus, I have a child awake and needing me from 6:00 am until at the earliest 7:30 pm. And then there are all the other things that need to get done...laundry, dishes, cleaning, paying bills, etc.

But when I do get to my machine, it is heaven. I relax and stitch away. Is it always relaxing? No...I'm generally trying to meet some deadline that is unrealistic and thus makes me hurry.

Which brings me to why it is a curse...mistakes! I worked hard these past two weeks to make the boys some bathing suits before swimming lessons started. I was developing my own pattern for the swimsuit lining and that simply takes time. I made Philip one and a t-shirt to match. Then I made them one set of matching bathing suits...

William actually has one too, but he was napping at picture time. As you can see, not much progress made on my matching outfits therapy. Anyways, they loved them.

The mistake...I put the buttonholes for Philip's drawstring on the side of the waist instead of at the front!! So he has two holes in the side waist!! You can't really see them, and I am going to try to take it apart and put two more in the front. So frustrating!!!!
Despite the mistake, the boys made me happy when they chose to wear these instead of any others in their drawer! That makes the effort worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment