Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lenten Happenings

Yet even now, says the LORD,return to me with all your heart,with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;rend your hearts and not your clothing.Return to the LORD, your God,for he is gracious and merciful,slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love,and relents from punishing. -Joel 2:12-13

Ash Wednesday was our first full day home after our trip. The boys and I enjoyed the rainy weather and stayed inside all day.

When William went down for his nap, I asked the boys what they remembered about Lent. Philip immediately associated it with Easter...Daniel with the color purple. Not bad, I thought.

We soon got to work on our Lenten chain. Last year, we did a Lenten tree in which we read a verse each night at dinner. This year I wanted something a little bit more. I was also aiming for something not done at dinnertime....that time is crazy enough.


I came up with a Lenten chain. Here's how ours works. There are six full weeks of Lent and one half week...so let's say seven. Each week we are reading from the Bible about an event during Jesus' last week. We read a version from each gospel Monday-Thursday. Friday brings a special activity.

So, the first week we focused on Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem. We read the different gospel versions. I found that repetition was good for their memory. We extended the study by reading some versions from our children's bibles. The boys especially liked going back to this book...


My aunt Nancy gave it to them for Christmas. It tells the Christmas story through the eyes of the donkey that carried Mary. Many years later, the donkey's grandson is chosen to carry Jesus into Jerusalem. Very cool!

Next week brings the Last Supper. Then Mount of Olives, Jesus before Caiaphus, Jesus before Herod, and Jesus before Pilate. We finish with the Crucifixion. Heavy stuff, I realize, but they are up for the challenge!

I am busy getting ready for the church's Lenten series. This year the catecheists are providing the program. We are teaching different lessons to the congregation...just as we do for the children. I think it is a great way to introduce Catechesis of the Good Shepherd to our fellow members, but I am quite nervous about presenting (and singing!) in front of adults. Three year olds are much more forgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment