Up To The Gills

Up To The Gills

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Up to the Gills...with boys!

A few things I want to share before I let you know how I feel about being the Mom to four little boys.


First, as a child, I had many Cabbage Patch Kids.  No Barbies....no Madame Alexanders...tacky little Cabbage Patch Kids.  I think I had six!  My favorites were two boys.  I loved those little boy dolls.  Mom even remembers me begging her to adopt a little boy so I could have a younger brother!

Second, as a college student, I remember grocery shopping with my then boyfriend, now husband.  He proceeded to teach me the option in the store using a package of paper towels.  He told me that I would one day have little boys and that would be something important to know.

Finally, as a first-time pregnant mom, I sat on the porch with Chris' dad (who by the way was one of two boys and father to two boys!).  He commented to me that he was sure Chris and I would have all boys.  It would be up to Cameron to have a Gill girl.  I don't think, even then, he imagined that we would have four!

All of these memories are clear and ironic as I now know my family is complete with four little boys!

So how do I feel about this??  Well, let me be clear, it seemed like the whole world was rooting for a girl.  I truly didn't care...I knew there were pros and cons either way.  Now that it is said and done, I think John is the perfect fit to complete our family. 

Philip and Daniel are such good buddies, and sure William seems to be breaking into a close relationship with them too, but I hope John and William will grow to share what the older boys have.  Next year, Philip and Daniel will be at school five days a week.  I look forward to watching William and John's relationship bond as they spend many days together at home.

There are wild days ahead, but I look forward to the challenge and privilege of raising four boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment